Small Business Liaison

As required by Government Code, Section 11148.5(c), the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) has designated the Small Business and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (SB/DVBE) Liaison/Advocate to assist certified small and disabled veteran businesses by responding to and directing their inquiries appropriately.

If you are interested in business opportunities with the DCA, please select the following link:

The DCA is comprised several California Boards and Bureaus, please be advised that the Liaison cannot answer questions related to or intervene in any licensing, investigation, enforcement or disciplinary action taken against a license or registration. Inquiries of these types must be directed to the appropriate agency within the DCA. The following link will direct you to the appropriate licensing agency:

A significant number of inquiries received by the Liaison are of a non-jurisdictional nature and are referred to the following entities listed below. A brief description of frequently received inquiries is followed by a link to the agency’s website; please feel free to contact the follow entities directly:

Inquiry Contact
When you need general consumer information. The toll free line is staffed Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 800-952-5210. Automated services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Consumer Information Center
Provides local and small business resources; and detailed information on the business permit, license and registration requirements. CalGold
Information relating to sales or use tax liability, special taxes and fees, property tax administration, and franchise and income tax appeals. State Board of Equalization
Information relating to franchise tax requirements. Franchise Tax Board
Information relating to unemployment insurance, disability insurance and employment tax. Employment Development Department
Information relating to federal taxes and employer identification numbers. Internal Revenue Service
Information regarding starting and managing small businesses; and what services are provided by the government for the business community. Small Business Administration
Information relating to income, payroll, sales and use tax for businesses. Tax Information Center
Information relating to worker's compensation requirements. Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Worker's Compensation
Responsible for the regulation of securities, franchises, off-exchange commodities, investment and financial services, independent escrows, consumer and commercial finance lending, and residential mortgage lending.

Information relating to credit unions, industrial loan companies, banks, savings and loan associations or savings banks.
Department of Business Oversight
Information relating to requirements for insurance companies, agents and brokers. Department of Insurance
Information relating to registration of law corporations and limited liability partnerships. State of California
Secretary of State’s Office
Information relating to charitable trusts and public benefit corporations. Department of Justice,
Registry of Charitable Trusts
Information regarding importing and exporting issues related to the U.S. Customs Service. U.S. Customs
Promotes American businesses keeps a vast array of economic statistics. Conducts the census, issues patents and trademarks, sets industrial standards. U.S. Department of Commerce
Provides tailored site selection and investment counseling services for businesses, real-estate executives, and site selection consultants considering California for new business investment and expansion. California Business Investment Services (CalBIS)
Provides links to the websites of California Chambers of Commerce. California Chambers of Commerce
County agency where the principal place of business is located. Information relating to city/county/business licenses, fictitious business name requirements, zoning, building permits, etc., dependent on business entity activities. To determine the applicable county agency, please refer to the list of California counties provided on this website. California State Association of Counties