Laws and Regulations
The Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA) creates the general framework for the regulation of commercial medicinal and adult-use cannabis in California. The text of MAUCRSA is available on the California Legislative Information website. Please note, the Bureau of Cannabis Control’s existing Readopted Emergency Regulations will remain in effect until the Proposed Non-Emergency Regulations complete the formal rulemaking process.
Proposed Cannabis Regulations Package
California’s three state cannabis licensing authorities have announced the publication of proposed regulations in the California Regulatory Notice Register, the first step toward adopting non-emergency regulations. This publication is the start of the formal rulemaking process and marks the opening of the 45-day public comment period.
We encourage everyone to submit comments on the proposed regulations for the licensing authorities to review and consider. The licensing authorities will review each timely and relevant comment received and will respond to all comments in documents filed during the final stages of the rulemaking process, regardless of the method used to submit the comments. For additional information regarding the release of the Bureau’s proposed regulations, how written comments may be submitted, or the upcoming public comment hearings, please refer to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. For information on the proposed cannabis regulations packages for all three state licensing authorities, please visit the state’s California Cannabis Portal.
Please note that during this process, the Bureau’s existing readopted emergency regulations will remain in effect. The full text of the readopted emergency regulations currently in effect is available here. The Bureau’s proposed non-emergency regulations and rulemaking documents can be found in the links listed below.
- Bureau of Cannabis Control – Proposed Text of Regulations
- Redline Version of Proposed Regulations
- Summary of Proposed Regulatory Changes
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Initial Statement of Reason
- Documents Incorporated by Reference – Disciplinary Guidelines July 2018
- Documents Incorporated by Reference – Forms
- Documents Incorporated by Reference – US FDA Guidelines
- CA Department of Food & Agriculture – Proposed Text of Regulations
- CA Department of Public Health – Proposed Text of Regulations
Readoption of Emergency Cannabis Regulations Package — (Currently in Effect)
On May 18, 2018, the Bureau of Cannabis Control, California Department of Public Health and California Department of Food and Agriculture proposed to readopt their emergency regulations. The three licensing authorities proposed changes to the regulatory provisions to provide greater clarity to licensees and to address issues that have arisen since the emergency regulations went into effect in December 2017. Highlighted among the changes is that applicants may now complete one license application and obtain one license to conduct medicinal and adult-use cannabis activity.
The Bureau’s emergency cannabis regulations were officially readopted on June 4, 2018, and are now in effect as of June 6, 2018. The readopted emergency regulations will remain in effect for 180 days. During this time, the Bureau will engage in the regular rulemaking process to adopt its final non-emergency regulations. The final text from each licensing authority’s readopted emergency regulations, including the highlighted changes, can be viewed by clicking the links listed below.
- Bureau of Cannabis Control - Final Text of Readopted Emergency Regulations
- Readoption Summary of Changes
- Transition Period Fact Sheet
- Bureau of Cannabis Control - Notice of Approval of Readopted Emergency Regulations
- Bureau of Cannabis Control – Proposed Text of Emergency Regulations Readoption
- Bureau of Cannabis Control – Proposed Text Legend
- Bureau Readoption of Emergency Regulations Fact Sheet
- Readoption Notice – Emergency Rulemaking Action
- Proposed Readoption Finding of Emergency Action
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement – STD. 399
- Notice Publication/Regulations Submission – STD. 400
- CA Department of Food and Agriculture – Final Text Readopted Emergency Regulations
- CA Department of Public Health – Final Text of Readopted Emergency Regulations
Commercial Cannabis Licensee Forms
- Licensee Bond Form
- Financial Information Form
- Premises Diagram
- Owner Submittal
- Sales Invoice/Shipping Manifest
California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) – Initial Study/Proposed Negative Declaration
- CEQA Workshops And Comment Information Regarding Initial Study And Proposed Negative Declaration
- CEQA Initial Study And Proposed Negative Declaration
- CEQA Notice Of Intent Initial Study And Proposed Negative Declaration
- CEQA Initial Study and Proposed Negative Declaration - Executive Summary
- CEQA List Of Libraries Initial Study And Proposed Negative Declaration