Provide outstanding support services, oversight, and innovative solutions to boards and bureaus that regulate California professionals and vocations so that through this partnership all Californians are informed, empowered, and protected.
Together, protecting California consumers.
The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is a unique and dynamic department made up of 36 different boards, bureaus, a committee, a commission, and a program that license and regulate more than 3.4 million licensees in more than 280 license types including certificates, registrations, and permits. Together, DCA protects and serves consumers in many ways:
- DCA is a service provider ‐ Through several administrative divisions and offices, including Communications, Legislative Affairs, Legal Affairs, Human Resources, Business Services, Fiscal Office, and Information Technology, DCA provides oversight and support services for these boards and bureaus to assist them in their mission of consumer protection.
- DCA is an educator ‐ DCA and its licensing boards and bureaus educate consumers by giving them information they need to avoid being victimized by unscrupulous, unlicensed, or unqualified people who promote deceptive or unsafe services.
- DCA is a licensing entity ‐ Through its licensing boards and bureaus, DCA licenses more than 3.4 million professionals and enables consumers to check the license status of these professionals online or by phone.
- DCA is a regulator ‐ Through its licensing boards and bureaus and its Division of Investigation, DCA investigates consumer complaints on issues under its jurisdiction. If violations are found, license holders can face discipline that may include probation, suspension or revocation of a license, fines and citations, letters of reprimand, cease and desist orders, or criminal charges.
DCA is committed to supporting the core mission of consumer protection, which is shared by all its boards and bureaus.
- Annual Reports
- Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act Guide
- Boards and Bureaus
- Board and Bureau Public Meeting Calendar
- Board Member Information
- Department of Consumer Affairs Leadership
- Board and Bureau Leadership
- Department of Consumer Affairs Strategic Plan 2022-2027
- Department of Consumer Affairs 2017-2021 Workforce and Succession Plan
- Department of Consumer Affairs - Who We Are and What We Do
- Department of Consumer Affairs - Open Data Portal
- Information for Military Personnel and Their Spouses/Domestic Partners
- Major Functions